ETIQUETTE FOR KitsapRECYCLERS
Thanks for being a part of the KitsapRecyclers Group. We're changing our community one gift at a time! This message is sent to all subscribers upon joining, and periodically thereafter to the entire list.
If you're new to the group or want a quick refresher on making the most of our Recycler group, please read on!
This Recycler group matches people who have things they need to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep usable items out of the landfill. By using what we already have on this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and lessen the impact on the earth. Another benefit of using KitsapRecyclers is that it encourages us to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process. Free your inner pack rat
KitsapRecycler is part of the incredibly fast-growing international movement, of recycling which includespeople all over the world. Please help this group grow by spreading the word! We all personally know lots of great people in our community who would love this idea. So, why not "pay it forward" and tell 3 (or more) people how wonderful it is to Recycle in Kitsap! You tell your friends, you family, your neighbors, your co-workers... and they tell theirs, and so on, and so on... well, you get the idea!
USING THE RECYCLERGROUP
To post a message, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or click on "NEW TOPIC" at the group web site on the upper right (see link below).
To read list archives (especially helpful for new members who may find recent posts of interest there), visit the main page and click on "conversations" on the top.
The following list rules helps the group run smoothly and effectively for everyone's benefit.
Remember, the success of this group depends on all of us, and that means each of us need to do our best to keep on task and, well, be nice and patient. Good Luck, Have Fun & Thank You for keeping Good Stuff out of the Landfills!
1) KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example, no pornography, alcohol, tobacco, drugs (legal or otherwise), firearms or other weapons. Two strikes and you're out of the group. This is our main Recycle rule to live by and it's a pretty easy one at that. No advertising your yard sale either please, as this involves money.
2) SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR POSTS. Use these phrases to make it easy for others to delete or view. (There may be slight variations on these from group to group as well).
l OFFER: Thingamajig (Your General Location)
l TAKEN: Thingamajig
l WANTED: Thingamajig, any condition. Please use this sparingly and don't offer money. NEVER put NEEDED in subject line, that's rejected.
l RECEIVED: Thingamajig
l ADMIN: new ideas, thoughts, etc. (Used by Owners and Mods)
3) PLEASE DO NOT POST THE SAME "WANTED" POSTING MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH. (Here, too, there will be variations from group to group)
4) NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. It's all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Two strikes & you're out, i.e. you will be unsubscribed by the moderator after two inappropriate postings.
5) YOUR APPROXIMATE LOCATION: Try to list this in the body of your e-mail as well as in the subject line. OFFER Couch (downtown). “I've got a couch and live downtown. Nearest intersection: Speedway and Stone.”
6) KEEP IT ALL IN ONE E-MAIL. Got more than one thing to give away? Keep it all in one e-mail please and just number the items for your own clarity. This reduces the overall number of emails we all have to receive.
7) CAN WE USE OUR KitsapRECYCLERS GROUP TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? Some groups say yes, but keep it legal & be lovingly careful. Other groups say no, please refer to Petfinder (www.petfinder.com) to find a pet locally. It depends on what you and your fellow members have decided on locally. However, posts about pets for breeding purposes are not allowed.
8) NO TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local trading organization for this. It can be quite fun. With KitsapRECYCLERS though, there are no strings attached, and no money exchanged, just give it away now…
9) RESPONSES GO ONLY TO OFFERER. It keeps down the sheer number of emails.
10) PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. I always ask that people consider giving your starving local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "it's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become the boo man pretty fast with your fellow KitsapRecyclers group members... Also: only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone no. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls.
SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of KitsapRECYCLERs when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. KitsapRECYLERS as a organization assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the front porch without mentioning whether or not you will be home at the time of pickup.
11) NO OFFERING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILDREN. Posting oneself (or one's shy friends) is, I'm afraid, not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose, or you could try Craig's List or a Burning Man mixer (just kidding). Posting your kids is not on the menu either, no matter how crazy they make you sometimes. Try getting them involved in after-school band practice.
12) A BRIEF NOTE ON KitsapRECYCLERS ETIQUETTE: "Be nice." We are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another member, it is good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.) Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is usual. (Think of it as The Three-day Rule.)
TIPS TO ORGANIZE ALL OF THE NEW E-MAILS YOU ARE GETTING:
a) CREATE A SEPARATE E-MAIL FOLDER & AUTOMATICALLY HAVE FREECYCLE STUFF GO TO IT. Create a separate folder in your email application & have KitsapRecycler stuff filtered to it automatically with a new rule under tools/message rules/mail/
b) SET TO DAILY DIGEST OR NO E-MAILS. Realize, too, that you can set your personal preferences on the webpage (under members).
That should just about do it. Have Fun and Thank you for being a part of The KitsapRecyclers Group!
Your KitsapRecyclers Moderators